San Francisco Opera 2020 Chorus Auditions
Openings in all voice categories
Multiple full-time openings in the mezzo section
The San Francisco Opera will hold auditions in October and November for experienced, classically trained singers seeking a professional contract in the highly acclaimed San Francisco Opera Chorus for 2020. There are multiple Full Time positions open in the Regular Chorus, as well as many Extra Chorus opportunities for all voice types with a special need for male voices.
Musical rehearsals are currently scheduled to begin in March of 2020 with the season ending in early December. A tentative Chorus Master Schedule will be provided with any offer of employment.
All auditions take place at the War Memorial Opera House (301 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco) on the following dates:
Saturday, October 19, 1 pm to 4 pm
Monday, November 4, 6 pm to 10 pm
Tuesday, November 5, 6 pm to 10 pm
Thursday, November 7, 7 pm to 10 pm
Saturday, November 9, 11 am to 2 pm
Please submit your application, audition request form (indicating 1st and 2nd choice of dates), resume, headshot and at least two references of recognized musical authority with whom you have worked.
- You must submit all materials before consideration will be given for an audition.
- If you have sung with the San Francisco Opera Chorus in any of the past 5 seasons, you will automatically qualify for an audition. Please note that you do need to submit an application and audition request form, but do not need to submit letters of reference or a headshot.
- AUDITIONS ARE BY INVITATION ONLY. If you qualify for an audition, you will be notified via email no later than one week before the audition date. For those coming from out of town your audition date/time will be sent immediately to allow for travel arrangements.
- Once assigned an audition date/time, no changes will be made with less than 72-hour notice.
- San Francisco Opera reserves the right to deny audition requests to singers who have auditioned and not been selected three (3) or more times. In some limited cases this may be waived two years from the last audition, with evidence of additional experience and/or training.
INVITED APPLICANTS WILL DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING:
- A minimum of 4 years classical voice training – academic or private.
- Excellent sight-reading ability – music and languages.
- Ability to memorize music quickly.
- Experience in another professional opera or symphony chorus and/or strong academic or other non-professional experience.
- Stage experience or significant stage training.
- Availability to work a complex & rigorous rehearsal and performance schedule.
- Ability to take and accept stage and musical direction.
- Ability to work in a theatrical environment, including but not limited to the ability to perform in a variety of stage conditions including flat and raked stages, at stage level and on elevated platforms, and with the use of specific scenic effects including the use of stage smoke and fog simulator effects including but not limited to steam and dry ice.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, November 1, 2019
Click to download:
2020 Chorus Application
2020 Chorus Audition Request Form
SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATION MATERIALS TO:
San Francisco Opera Chorus 301 Van Ness Ave. San Francisco, CA 94102 Attn: Mary Finch, Auditions Coordinator Phone: (415)565-3205 / Email: email@example.com
- Prepare 2 to 3 operatic arias contrasting in style and language, one of which must be by Mozart.
- One selection may be an Art Song or from an Oratorio.
- If invited to sing a second Regular Chorus audition you may be asked for a 4th aria.
- You may be asked to sing only one aria.
- Arias should be sung in the original key and language.
- You may be asked to sight read as the ability to read and memorize quickly is required.
- Auditions typically last no longer than 4 minutes; please plan your repertoire accordingly.
- San Francisco Opera will furnish an accompanist. You must provide a legible copy of each aria, in the correct key, for the accompanist. You may bring your own accompanist if you would prefer.
- No guests will be permitted into the audition site.
All employment is conditioned upon your providing timely and satisfactory evidence of your ability to legally work in the United States upon your acceptance of our offer of employment, should one be extended.
Should you have questions please submit them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org