PURPOSE: To provide administrative support to and work closely with the Managing Director: Artistic, Music Director, and Artistic department.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university (preferred) or equivalent work experience
EXPERIENCE: Minimum three (3) years increasingly responsible general administrative work, opera production or artistic administrative experience highly preferred
PREREQUISITE SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Experience in the theatrical field preferred
- Outstanding grammar, spelling punctuation and editing skills
- Knowledge of opera repertoire and theatrical production and/or performing arts preferred
- Familiarity and knowledge of foreign languages preferred, especially German, Italian, French and/or Russian
- Ability to effectively and accurately plan, organize, and coordinate people and events
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications; database skills desirable
- Provide a high level of administrative support and organizational skills
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Outstanding communication, both written and verbal, and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize diverse and multiple tasks, maintaining flexibility and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team; prioritize tasks; and exercise good judgment and initiative
- Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities successfully
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Outstanding interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with all staff, artists and board members in a professional, confidential and tactful manner
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Social media savvy and familiarity with major platforms with a background in content creation preferred
- Must perform the functions of the position in a safe manner
- Position requires occasional evening and weekend obligations, especially during the opera season
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Organizes information, coordinates and manages schedules, activities, travel, calendar, accounts, phone messages and correspondence for the Managing Director: Artistic and Music Director.
- Determines priorities and time sensitive issues on a daily basis for the Managing Director: Artistic and Music Director.
- Acts as liaison between the Managing Director: Artistic and Music Director and other in-house departments and outside parties.
- Coordinates and monitors Company soloist auditions in San Francisco and outside San Francisco and tracks all submissions and results.
- Coordinates annual Chorus solo auditions, including chorus and solo bit preparation for the year’s operas. This includes securing and delivering role excerpts, publishing the list of available roles, and liaising with the Operations and Costume departments.
- Assists with the coordination of Orchestra auditions.
- Proofreads departmental documents as well as Marketing and Public Relations materials and compiles and provides edits and feedback on behalf of the Artistic department.
- Coordinates Artistic On Duty (AOD) assignments; including serving as AOD when scheduled, providing assistance, as required, to Artists.
- Serves as liaison, as directed, between Company departments and Artists and/or their Management.
- Assists with research and the creation and maintenance of documentation related to season planning, productions, new works, and other projects.
- Assists Music Planning Manager with projects, as directed, including but not limited to supertitles and the coordination of keyboard instruments.
- Assists Artistic Planning Manager with projects, as directed, including but not limited to research and coordination for Pop-Ups and other artistic special projects.
- Works with Artist Services Coordinator to track requests for artists.
- Attends Music Director interviews and public engagements as needed.
- Maintains relationship with artists’ management, and engages in correspondence on behalf of the Managing Director: Artistic
- Prepares remarks for the General Director and Company leadership for cast parties and Meet & Greets and other events, as directed.
- Provides assistance with data-entry in the Artistic database.
- Provides sick leave or vacation administrative assistance for the Artistic Department.
- Coordinates department meetings and other meetings, as directed.
- Assists Artist Services Coordinator with visas, as necessary.
- Serves as onsite liaison at special events involving artists, as directed.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT OR MACHINES, IF ANY, THAT MUST BE OPERATED TO PERFORM THE POSITION ACCEPTABLY: Computer, printer, copier, telephone and other general office equipment and machines.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Indoors with temperature and noise levels typical of this environment
E-mail required job application, cover letter and résumé to email@example.com or fax to (415) 634-0203. No phone calls please. San Francisco Opera only retains résumés that are sent in response to specific, posted job openings.
Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for this position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
SAN FRANCISCO OPERA IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY OF STAFF
Posted February, 2021